The museum offers scheduled Group Tours at a discounted admission rate throughout the year. The tours can be docent-led, if requested in advance, and are tailored to your group’s interests. The focus of the tour can vary from a comprehensive overview of the entire museum collection to an in-depth look at one specific exhibition or body of artworks or objects.
To Schedule a Group Tour:
- Your group must contain at least 10 people (not including the tour operator and bus driver).
- You must make reservations at least two weeks in advance by calling Kailey Judisch at 406-727-8787, extension 339. This enables us to discuss arrangements with you and identify programs and schedules that best meet your needs. Calling ahead also allows us to schedule your group around other visiting groups if necessary.
- What do I need to know before I call?
- We will ask these questions:
- What is your preferred date and time?
- How many people are in your group?
- What would you like the focus of the tour to be?
- Would you prefer a self-guided or a docent-led tour?
- Possible focuses for a Group Tour include:
- Charles M. Russell
- Log cabin studio and Russell home (Opening March 2019)
- The Bison: American Icon, Heart of Plains Indian Culture
- Changing Exhibitions
- When are Group Tours available?Group Tours are available any day the museum is open to the public. Our hours vary seasonally.
- Summer museum hours are Monday through Sunday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., with the Russell home and log cabin studio open 10 a.m. to 4:45 p.m., from May 1 through September 30.
- Winter museum hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., with the Russell home and log cabin studio open 10 a.m. to 4:45 p.m., Wednesday through Saturday, from October 1 through April 30.
- What does a Group Tour cost?
- The admission rate per person for Group Tours is $11, with complimentary admission for the bus driver and tour operator.
- PLEASE NOTE: If you do not call us two weeks in advance of your visit, your group will be charged the regular adult museum admission fees.
- Method of Payment:
We accept credit cards, checks, or cash upon arrival at the museum’s reception desk.
The museum hosts field trips for day programs, schools, home schools, and Scout groups throughout the year for students in kindergarten through high school. We can adjust our tours to accommodate the needs of the class and supplement the school curriculum. Tours for qualified school groups are free. We ask that groups schedule a tour at least two weeks in advance.
Q: How do I schedule a School Tour?
A: Please call Kailey Judisch at 406-727-8787, ext. 339.
School Tour Focus Areas:
Meet C.M. Russell
Pre-K – Grade 1: 1 HOUR
Grades 2 – 12: 1.5 HOURS
Portrait of Charles M. RussellThis is an introductory museum experience for children. The docent-led tour includes an in-depth look at original Russell oils, watercolors, sculptures, and letters, with a visit to the artist’s log studio. If time permits, students can visit the Discovery Gallery, the museum’s hands-on activity center which includes an Indian tipi, barrel horses, dress-up clothes, and other objects for educational exploration.
For younger children, we recommend a 45-minute tour with 15 minutes in the Discovery Gallery. Based on your classroom needs, activities can be added if they are requested at the time of booking.
Focused tours for various ages are offered in conjunction with the temporary exhibitions at the museum. All tours need to be booked at least two weeks in advance. For school groups, the museum asks for one responsible chaperone for every ten students.
Cancellations must be made five business days in advance of the scheduled tour. This enables us to offer the slot to another visiting group and give ample notice to the volunteer tour guide.
For Late Arrivals, please contact Kailey Judisch at 406-727-8787, ext. 339. If a group is delayed by more than 15 minutes, we may not be able to guarantee a guided tour if originally requested. In addition, the tour itinerary may be altered to accommodate the shorter time frame.